Monday, August 3, 2009

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake

You all know I've been waiting along time to make these cookies and cream Oreo cheesecake cups, well Saturday was finally the day! Saturday was just a great day for food... for lunch I stopped by the Gourmet Shop at Cafe Med and had a Greek Salad, Pita and dip for $4. That's right, a non fast food lunch for $4. Amazing. On another non cheesecake related note, Saturday night Christopher made me dinner: Penne Carbonara, Caprese Salad, and Garlic Bread. The Penne Carbonara is from his Tyler's Ultimate cookbook and was fantastic so when Chris makes it for me again (which he will if he knows whats good for him) we'll do a special on here with that recipe. And now back to the cheesecake. This recipe is also from my Martha Stewart Cupcake Book, and yet again I tell you this is NOT a cupcake. I'm okay with it this time though, they are exactly what I suspected. Great!!! I'll give you the recipe from the book then tell you after the changes I made.
Ingredients:
42 Oreo cookies, 30 left whole and 12 coarsely chopped
2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature, slightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
pinch of salt
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Place 1 whole cookie in the bottom of each lined cup.
2. With an electric mixer and medium-high speed, beat cream cheese until smooth, scarping down sides of bowl as needed. Gradually add sugar, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla.
3. Drizzle in eggs, a bit at a time, beating to combine and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in sour cream and salt. Stir in chopped cookies by hand.
4. Driving batter evenly among cookies=filled cups, filling each almost to the top. Bake, rotating times halfway through, until filling is set, about 22 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate (in tins) at least 4 hours (or up to overnight). Remove from tins just before serving.
Changes:
I didn't change really all that much, the biggest thing was that I don't understand regular Oreos. Double stuffed Oreo's are a million times more delicious. Why would you settle to the old fashioned oreo? They are so 1974. Ya I said it! Don't believe me... go check it out for yourself. That's right. Double stuffed oreos were released in 1975 and we haven't looked back since. Okay so I bought the double stuffed oreos which after you subtract 12 to mix in leaves you with 24, the perfect amount to fill 2 cupcake tins instead of 2 and a half. Since everyone has half of a cupcake tin lying around? In my head 24 makes far more sense. But thats in my head so beware. So I'm not sure if it was the increased volume of cheesecake goo per cup by decreasing it to 24, but 22 minutes wasn't enought. I tacked another 5 minutes on and we were good to go.
Results:
These were devoured at the Melodrama Saturday night. Before, most there were partial to my red velvet cupcakes but some decided this was their new favorite thing I make. I think they give me such great reviews because they want me to keep bringing treats to them. Well it works guys, keep the compliments coming in and the sweets will follow! So there we have it, I will make these again no doubt. They would be perfect in a party setting. No silverware or clean up required, just little bit size cups of heaven. If I haven't convinced you to run out and make these right now, let me tell you again. These are so simple and just all around great. Please give them a shot!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment