Friday, June 11, 2010

Blue Velvet Baby Shower Cupcakes

My best friend Kim is having a baby boy, Morgan Carter Slikker, and he is due July 10th. Tomorrow we're having her shower to celebrate and I was asked to make the cupcakes for the occasion. Kim's favorite is my red velvet cupcakes but that would do the trick for a baby boy: the solution, blue velvet.
After much research I learned that adding a smidgen of violet food coloring would keep the blue food coloring from having an icky green tone (which is apparently quite common with blue food coloring), well it worked! They turned out the perfect deep velvety blue.
They were topped with a baby blue cream cheese frosting and silver glittery bits.
I sure hope they taste as good as they look! My original red velvet recipe came from Paula Dean's cookbook and as I was watching food network while baking guess who comes on TV and makes her red velvet cupcakes! It was so poetic to be cooking along with Paula.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment